Whether you are new or returning team, some of the best advice for teams is to strive for consistency. Teams should seek players who consistently attend matches, and teams should strive to play together on a consistent basis - whether through league matches or practice/pick-up games. The best teams maintain positive communication and productive feedback during their games, and even find time to hang out together outside of soccer. BAASL suggests that teams use the bulletin feature in their team profile to communicate with each other between matches, and take advantage of pick-up games and practice fields available through BAASL.
New to creating your own soccer team? It's easy and here's how:
- Register your team online and submit the team fee. When prompted use all of your players' e-mail addresses to send invites to join your team.
- Recruit players (up to the roster maximum) & designate team co-captains. Pick a team name and team color (BAASL Climalite t-shirts are available for sale as an optional team jersey).
- Ensure each player accepts the BAASL waiver, uploads a headshot photo, and completes their information while logged into their player profile.
- Contact BAASL for help recruiting free agents to fill up open player slots.
- Additional online management features allow teams to easily communicate with teammates, track payments, and photo uploads. Leagueapps sends an automatic e-mail reminder to all players with game time and location.
A "Designated Player" (DP) is a male player 44 or older.
In 8v8 leagues, a maximum of 8 players, 2 of whom must be female (or one female and one male DP) are allowed on the field. To avoid a forfeit in an 8v8 league game, at least 5 players (of which at least 1 must be a female) are required to play the game. A team must play short one player if they only have one female player on game day in an 8v8 league.
In 7v7 leagues, a maximum of 7 players, 2 of whom must be female (or one female and one male DP), are allowed on the field. To avoid a forfeit in a 7v7 league game, at least 5 players (of which at least 1 must be female) are required to play the game. A team must play short one player if they only have one female on game day in a 7v7 league.
In 5v5 leagues, a maximum of 5 players, 1 of whom must be female, are allowed on the field. To avoid a forfeit in an 5v5 league game, at least 3 players (of which at least 1 must be a female) are required to play the game.
Each team must have a goalkeeper.
In an outdoor 11v11 game, at least 7 players, including goalkeeper, are required to play. A team forfeits if it does not have the minimum number of players when the match begins.
*The designated player rule is not to be interpreted, directly or indirectly, as an assessment of an individual's abilities or a means to discriminate against any particular player or group of players.
The purpose of the designated player rule is to create diversity and allow team managers some flexibility in filling their team rosters and reducing the possibility of a team forfeit due to a lack of eligible players.
**Neither Bay Area Adult Soccer League ("BAASL"), baasl.leagueapps.com, nor www.mysoccerleague.com, will sell or release your information to third parties. All personal information is used for BAASL internal purposes only.